Trending

Song of The Day: Hotlegs "Neanderthal Man"



While the above video is incorrectly credited to 10cc, 3/4 of the band (Eric Stewart, Kevin Godley and Lol Creme) recorded the primitively sublime "Neanderthal Man" in 1970 under the name Hotlegs.  If the cover of their lone album, Thinks: School Stinks, looks familiar is because a certain American shock rocker totally stole their idea a couple years later.

Click image to enlarge
I realized that I had seen the album in many a dollar bin over the years and the cover's resemblance to Alice Cooper's School's Out failed to catch my attention. If only I'd taken the time to read the back of the album. Who's got that kind of time, though, with my girlfriend staring daggers at me from the parking lot because I said I'd only be five minutes?

As for the song "Neanderthal Man", if you're hearing the song for the first time, do not adjust your speakers. The multi-tracked drums are placed front-and-center and the vocals are intentionally placed lower in the mix. Once your ears adjust, you'll probably notice certain Gary Glitter/Queen -like quality, except that those artists "came up with the idea" years after Hotlegs rode "Neanderthal Man" to #2 on the charts.

1 Comments

Previous Post Next Post